Monday, July 30, 2007

A strange way to cook.

Hobo Stoves? It sounds strange I know but it was incredibly awesome.

It all started at camp, I was dripping wet from the water games and we were making pancakes outside, on a rusty burnt tin can. I know it sounds a little crazy but it’s not.

To make a hobo stove you need a really big tin can and a small tin can (like a salmon tin) the small tin can should have cardboard and wax in it. You light the cardboard and wax and put the big can on top of the small one. The big can should have a hole cut in the side so that the air can get in. Once the big can has heated up it’s time to make pancakes.

Group A (our group) was the last group to make hobo stoves. Amelia, You Bin and I were sharing a hobo stove and I got to make the first pancake.

First I had to put the oil on and spread it around. Then I poured on the pancake mix, then it was time to flip it but that didn’t go too well, first the pancake stuck to the tin then I flipped it but it wasn’t quite ready. It all joined together into a very abnormal shaped pancake.

Next came Amelia’s turn. Her pancake mucked up a bit because she put and extremely large amount of oil on the hobo stove and it was disgusting. It was mushy and soft and Amelia didn’t want it so she offered it to everyone. The only one who wanted it was Sam N and even he didn’t want it when he found out that it was covered in oil.

After that all of our pancakes were okay, apart from the disgusting one Amelia accidentally dropped on the dirt and gravel (we decided to give that one to the birds). The other strange pancake was my massive pancake that was so big that the mixture dripped over the edge of the hobo stove.

In the end they tasted great. The hobo stoves activity was one of my major highlights at camp.

No comments: